Tenya's Quirk grants him high running speed through engine-like protrusions manifested around his calves, which he can activate at will.
Through his amazing speed, Tenya can easily travel through large distances and overwhelm foes, as very few people can react or catch up to him. Those engines also give Tenya massive leg strength, allowing for increased kicking power. Consequently, Tenya's fighting style ends up revolving around kicks.
His engines are apparently fueled by orange juice, while carbonated drinks make them malfunction. Furthermore, he can adapt to the situation at hand by switching between gears. There are at least three confirmed gear settings, but he needs to go through each one in proper order as he accelerates further. Tenya once observed that he could only switch up to third gear for a 50-meter dash, implying he needs more distance to achieve his maximum speed.
Jamming the mufflers of the leg engines will cause them to stall. The same thing will happen once he activates his Recipro Burst move, as a trade-off for a short-timed, but immense burst of speed.
- Recipro Burst (レシプロバースト Reshipuro Bāsuto?): This move allows Tenya to forcibly accelerate his Quirk, greatly enhancing his speed for 10 seconds but at the cost of disabling his engines for a short period of time. Even Shoto Todoroki could not fully evade Recipro Burst and admits that he expected no less of its incredible speed.
- Recipro Extend (レシプロエクステンド Reshipuro Ekusutendo?): After Tenya manages to cool down the negative effects of Recipro Burst, he regains even more acceleration than before.
- This Quirk is similar to Jet, as both grant the user propulsion devices in their lower bodies that provide enhanced speed. The main difference is that in Jet they are located at the bottoms of feet and provide enhanced jumping, while in Engine they are located in the lower leg and provide enhanced running.
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 6
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 41
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 29, Pages 14-17
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 54, Page 17