Tenya's Quirk grants him incredible speed through engine-like protrusions manifested around his calves. Those engines give Tenya massive leg strength, allowing not only fast running abilities, but also increased kicking power. Consequently, Tenya's fighting style ends up revolving around kicks.
His engines are apparently fueled by orange juice, while carbonated drinks make them malfunction. Furthermore, he can adapt to the situation at hand by switching between gears. There are at least three confirmed gear settings, but he needs to go through each one in proper order as he accelerates further. Tenya is seen thinking that he could only switch up to third gear for a 50-meter dash, implying he needs more distance to achieve his maximum speed.
Jamming the mufflers of the leg engines will cause them to stall. The same thing will happen once he activates his Recipro Burst move, as a trade-off for a short-timed, but immense burst of speed.
- Recipro Burst (レシプロバースト Reshipuro Bāsuto): This move allows Tenya to forcibly accelerate his Quirk, giving Tenya greatly enhanced speed for 10 seconds but at the cost of disabling his engines for a short period of time. Even Shouto Todoroki could not fully evade Recipro Burst and admits that he expected no less of its incredible speed.
- Recipro Extend (レシプロエクステンド Reshipuro Ekusutendo): After Tenya manages to cool down the negative effects of Recipro Burst, he regains even more acceleration than before.
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 6
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 41
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 29, Pages 14-17
- ↑ Boku no Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 54, Page 17